Sunday, July 4, 2010

Disappointment, dampness and fireworks

This 4rth of July I went to the Lisle Eyes to the Sky Festival. I was really excited to go because they launch a bunch of hot air balloons. The balloons are left tethered to the ground and after dark they appear to glow, giving their own light show. They also have fireworks. So me and a few of my friends headed up to see this amazing show. Unfortunately when we got there they had a sign posted that said the balloons would not be launch due to high winds. Determined to at least enjoy the fireworks we met up with a bunch of my family who had found a nice place at the very top of a hill. We spread out a blanket and settled in. My nephew Nicholas was very excited to see me and my camera.
A couple of weeks ago I showed Nick how to review pictures on my camera, he has since then been fascinated by it and tries to grab it every chance he gets. Here is a close up of his little toddler hand as he grabs for it.

While enjoying a band they had playing we noticed a rainbow had formed.

Deciding we were thirsty my friends and I trekked back down the hill to buy drinks. I also bought a chocolate fondue bowl from the Melting Pot. Mmmmm! We then started shopping at the many booths they had set up. This is were I noticed the sky was getting awfully cloudy.

When we were the absolute furthest we could possibly be from where we had spread our blanket - it started to rain. At first it was just a little but soon enough it was pouring! I would love to show you some pictures of the downpour but I was too busy trying to keep Shooty dry. Some very nice vendor gave me a plastic bag to protect him until we could walk back to our blanket (and my camera bag). Once we got back the decision was made to go home. Everybody was soaked to the skin and feeling disgruntled. Besides Nick of course who seemed thrilled with the rain! As a result of this attempted festival fiasco I have no photos to show you of hot air balloons, and no new firework photos. Don't worry though, I will make it up to you by showing you some photos I have taken of fireworks in the past. I hope you had a very happy Fourth of July! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment